20 June 2015 – Duvall Bridge

(Photo above: new planking on the bridge)

Plaque on the bridge

Plaque on the bridge

 

 

A bridge has existed at this location since the early 1800’s. The current structure was built in 1907 and was closed to traffic in 2009 due to its deteriorating condition. Renovation began in 2013 and it was re-opened in early 2015.

 

On bridge looking downstream

On bridge looking downstream

 

 

 

The bridge ties the North Tract and Central Tract together, and with its re-opening travel time between the two tracts will be cut by up to 45 minutes.

Bridge - looking north from south side

Bridge – looking north from south side

The historic road that is carried by this bridge is called Telegraph Road (It is also called Duvall Bridge Road near the bridge.) Telegraph Road is famous for being the road along which the wire between Baltimore and Washington, DC which carried Samuel Morse’s first telegraphic message in 1844.

Paw Paw patch next to bridge

Paw Paw patch next to bridge

 

 

For even more detailed information about this historic bridge, you can refer to the Jan-Mar 2015 edition of the Friends of Patuxent Newsletter, page 4

On bridge looking upstream

On bridge looking upstream

This entry was posted in Journal, Sites around refuge. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply